Thursday 2 February 2017

Time to Talk/Time to Change

Do You See Me Now?

Do you see Me now?
Do you know My name?
No, no, look at Me,
Don't turn your face. Don't hide My shame.

Can you hear Me now?
The words I spew?
No, NO! Don't listen to That.
"FUCKING BITCH. WHORE.
YOU LOCKED ME UP. GET ME OUT! GET ME OUT!"
That's NOT Me.
What I want to say.

Turn it off! TURN IT OFF! SWITCH IT! NOW!

Listen. Listen. Listen… Get closer... closer… still...
Here. In this silence. I'm screaming pain.
I'm Here. Still. Here. Hiding. Deep. Hide Me. Again.

I'm scared.

Don't tell them. Don't let them know.
Pills, jabs, restraint. Twisted limbs. Swollen hands. Dark despair.
I raged. I hurt. I wept.

Do you care?

You know Me. ME. The Me I was. The Me I am.
Really ME.
See Me again.
Hear Me.
HELP ME.
Let Me be.
Don't let pity crush.
It's hell I'm living.
LET ME BE!

I Know You See Me.
You Know My name.
It's Time to Talk.

NOW!

It's Time to Talk
It's Time to Change.


Today is 'Time to Talk' day. 

You have a voice. 

You may know or care for someone who suffers from the debilitating effects of poor mental health.  There are a lot of very dedicated caring professionals involved in supporting the misunderstood and vulnerable individuals in our society. There are also a lot of families and friends that try and do the same. I do. We struggle. Physical ailments are much easier to handle. To deal with. To respond to. To care for. To explain.

It is not easy to care. When fear strikes. Reality twists. Abuse screams. How to relate. Reach out. Shine a light. Listen. Just be there.

Please take the time to start a conversation or take an initiative to mitigate the stigma still experienced by a lot of people with mental health issues. Make it easier for them to talk. Especially those individuals isolated by crippling severe, enduring conditions. Depression. Bipolar. Schizophrenia. Words that bind. Forgiveness. Compassion. Understanding. Words that heal.

Be the difference. Make a difference. See the person, not the dis-ease.

Being Jiwan…x

No comments:

Post a Comment